When considering epidural or spinal anesthesia, the following questions will help you communicate with your anesthesiologist before your surgery:
- Ask if an epidural or spinal would benefit you during or after the operation.
- Ask about any concerns that you may have regarding an epidural or spinal.
- Tell about your fears. Every normal person about to have surgery has some concerns, and these are best discussed the day before the surgery, if possible.
- Tell if you are taking any anticoagulants - often called blood thinners - whether prescribed or natural.
- Tell about all your medications used for any reason.
- Tell about any previous experiences with anesthesia, good and bad.
- Tell of any drug allergies or side effects you have previously experienced.